This position was previously known as Benevolent Dictator, and was changed to Area Lead in November 2016
Area Leads are volunteers that head up individual areas of the MakeICT Makerspace. They work directly with members to assess area wants/needs, and work directly with other MakeICT leaders to communicate those needs and satisfy them. Area Leads work to ensure their respective areas are safe, stocked, and ready to make. They take ownership and responsibility for the culture, equipment, and activities within their area. Area Leads decide what activities and equipment belong within their area, and any rules or policies that need to be followed.
Official duties include:
- Developing a culture of collaboration and knowledge sharing within each space
- Connecting instructors to the leadership team to schedule authorizations, workshops, and classes
- Acquiring equipment/tools/supplies based on member needs using a budget from member funds, and ensuring items are usable
- Creating/maintaining access policies for their area
- Appointing at least one Assistant to aid in these duties
- Authorizing members on machines per our Authorization and Area Leads policy.
Area Leads are appointed by the MakeICT board and serve 1 year terms from January 1 to December 31. When considering candidates, the following traits are considered:
- Ability to work with others and approachibility
- Subject knowledge
- Organizational skills
- Personal responsibility
- Community awareness
Area Leads report to the Makerspace Program Director.