July 18 2019

From MakeICT
Jump to: navigation, search

2019 June 20 Board meeting minutes

AGENDA

Roll Call

Board Members

  • President - David Springs
  • Vice President - Alysa Bumgarner
  • Treasurer - Devin Halsey *Absent
  • Secretary - Rustin Atkeisson
  • At Large Director - LaDeana Dockery
  • At Large Director - Scott Sullivan
  • At Large Director - Josh Robinson
  • At Large Director - Malissa Long
  • Immediate Past President - Kim Burton *absent

Members

  • Dean Day
  • Mike Grommesh
  • Emily Edger
  • Patrick Hutcheson

Standing Items

  • Thanks & recognition
    • Emily Ediger- Way to go on getting the arcade cabinet going! ...and the member handbook
    • Christian Kindel - Thanks for taking care of the lasers and printers!
    • Scott Sullivan, Josh Robinson, Alysa Bumgarner, Emily Ediger, Rustin Atkeisson - Thanks for your efforts on the jewelry lab!
    • Malissa Long - Thanks for all the leg work in tracking down additional funding!

Old Business

New Business

  • Need to take inventory
    • Will bring up at area leads meeting (Aug 5)
  • Admin Keys - Policy Change
    • Each board member and security officer to hold a metal key and turn over the key at the end of their term
    • Building is to be re-keyed (cost will be under $100)
    • Ken Steadman and landlord will be involved with the re-keying of the building
    • Old Board to turn in physical keys before end of term
    • Motion to re-key the building and update the key policy accordingly. (made by Alysa, 2nd by Josh) Approved: 6 approved

@DECISION: Building to be re-keyed and the key policy for Board Members is to be updated.


  • Vacuum Cleaner Replacement
    • Suggest disposing old vacuums with 3 nerd rule
    • Would possibly get 2 Bissell Wet/Dry Vacs
    • Motion to get rid of old vacuums and replacing with 2 new shop vacs with filter for less than $250 (made by Alysa, 2nd by Rustin) Approved: 6 in favor

@DECISION: David and Alysa to purchase 2 new vacuums for less than $250 and dispose of the old vacuums accordingly.

  • New Vending Machine
    • Compressor went out on the old machine, the old machine was purchased for $40
    • Need to find a new machine that is approximately the same size as the old machine
    • Want a vending machine that can handle bills and possibly be hacked to accept badges
    • Requesting $500 to find a good used soda machine from a vending service with a vending machine
    • Soda money was used in the past to pay for other projects
    • Could recycled front part of old machine to dispense other maker materials
    • Rest of old machine would be hauled off
    • Josh suggests upping the budget to $750 to go for a combo soda/snack machine
    • Motion to set aside $750 for a vending machine that fits our space (possibly sells soda and chips) and salvage what we can from the old machine. Made by Josh, 2nd by Scott. Approved: 6 in favor

@DECISION: Look for and purchase a vending machine for less than $750 while salvaging what we can from the old vending machine.

Upcoming Events

  • August 10 -Astrofest at Lake Afton (talk with James Lancaster)
    • Aug 13 - Haysville Fall Fest would like MakeICT to Participate
  • Next meeting - August 15th
  • Next quarterly meeting is in September
  • Open streets - September 22
    • Would like to be more involved
  • Group trip out to the cosmosphere? (talk with James Lancaster)

Committee Reports

Requested items from each committee:

  • Accomplishments this month
  • Upcoming goals
  • Where do you need help/how to get involved?

IT - Tom Bloom

Membership (and Community outreach) - Shannon Fisher

Creator Showroom - Dean Day

Communications (and Wikibrarian) - LaDeana Dockery

Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman

Scholarships- Nick Endicott

Outreach (and Education) - Daryl Goad

  • McPherson now has a makerspace!
    • They’ve invited MakeICT to come check them out
    • They will have air-conditioning by the end of the month
  • Want to put TVs up in front windows
    • Have 1, would like to have a 2nd one
      • One to show upcoming events
      • Other would show maker projects and activities
  • Solar Prize Competition
    • Had meeting 14 July at 4pm
    • Successfully became the mid-west hub


Fundraising- Meghan Iacuzzi

  • Kate submitted applications for Wal-Mart Grants (there are 9 Wal-Marts around Wichita that we can submit applications to)
    • Great Job Malissa on getting 30 people on such short notice to go to the American Made meeting. We get $1,000 from that.
    • We’ve applied for two grants from Wal-Mart - one for $890 for a plumbed in water cooler, and $1800 or so for a variety of Textile Wish List Items.
    • Would love to see more wish lists from committees and areas. Please let us know what you need, and we can try to get this done. We have six more Wal-Marts from whom we can ask for money. The amount must be between $250 and $5,000.
      • Suggest asking for air-conditioners/heaters for metal shop, classroom, and collaboration area
      • Suggest talking about at the next Breakfast with the Board
    • Getting ready to create a survey of membership to get addresses and demographic information. The first for a direct appeal for fundraising, and the last for grant-writing purposes.

Special Projects (and Makerfaire) - Nicole Kirkhart

  • Next NOMCON meeting for
  • Makerfaire is looking for more sponsors
    • Next Makerfair meeting Fri Aug 2, 1pm
  • Will still be a Makerfaire in 2020
    • Still need over 100 booths to get past being called a 'Mini' Makerfaire
    • 2020 will be big for Makerfaire - 20th anniversary of Exploration place, 150th anniversary of Wichita
    • ANY MAKER THAT MAKES SOMETHING SHOULD POST THAT PROJECT ON THE FORUMS
    • Suggest bringing projects in on Maker Mondays - Need to put a sign up on the front cabinets telling members that this is what they were meant for
  • Committee will meet every other month on the first Saturday
  • No current additional candidates for the Magic Wheelchair Project
    • WSU is building a wheelchair for a special medical needs child
    • Could coordinate with Comic Cons or Hospitals to find more special needs people to build costumes for
    • Suggest 3 nerd rule on foam remaining from last Magic Wheelchair projects
      • Funds would go back into special projects fund

Building committee

  • Building Search Update
    • Last met July 2nd
    • Toured another building on the 9th - building is not on the market but was last listed at $500,000
    • Need to talk with area leads about ceiling heights needed
      • Had one room tall enough for the metalshop and woodshop
    • Need to figure out how much space we want between MakeICT and other makerspaces
    • May need to look at getting a DUNS number for grants
    • Longfellow has an offer on it
  • If you want to join the building committee, please contact Jens or BuildingCommittee@makeict.org

Meeting Adjurned at 7:56pm

Decision Summary

    Task Summary