March 15 2018

From MakeICT
Jump to: navigation, search

Roll Call

  • Board Members
    • President - Kim Burton
    • Vice President - James Lancaster
    • Treasurer - David Springs
    • Secretary - Rustin Atkeisson
    • At Large Director - LaDeana Dockery
    • At Large Director - Kip Landwehr
    • At Large Director - Malissa Long
    • At Large Director - Kez Cook
    • Immediate Past President - Logan Pajunen
  • Members
    • Jens Torell
    • Dean Day
    • Nathan Batten
    • Jeremiah Burian
    • Zac L
    • Paul Maseberg
    • Doug Wilson
    • Mike Barushok

Standing Items

  • Approval of Consent Agenda:
    • Minutes from February 2018 meeting.
  • Safety and Security
    • violations or concerns.
      • David: note for future reference.
        • Fireman noted that more electrical drops need to happen. This is under the purview of the makerspace director. Christian will take care of it.
    • Matt P/Security Lead
      • He’s too busy to be here
      • David asked LaDeana to help make keys too.
      • Matt’s membership has lapsed.
      • Kim is asking for a security lead who is here.
      • David suggests appointing someone an acting interim security lead.
      • David has been nominated by Logan, second by LaDeana, discussion. no discussion. David abstained. 8 in favor.
  • Banned member in the metalshop
    • Jeremiah B.
      • Larry Meeks has been having issues in the metal shop for a while now.
      • When he gives tours to people, he is derogatory about the tools/machines, classes.
      • Larry has removed the tools that he loaned. He also removed items that he had donated. Basically he stole the welder back.
      • Discussion because the key was not revoked.
      • Kez moves to revoke Larry Meeks key because he removed MakeICT property from the makerspace without approval. LaDeana seconds. Discussion.
        • James L. asked how the items were donated were documented. They were documented on the spreadsheet. Rustin: did larry tell anyone he was going to remove the items he took? No. Larry clearly violated the rules. David: we can revoke a key, we can do it for a period of time or for an action. Default is the key form.
        • 8 in favor, 1 opposed.
    • James L brings up that we need a safety and security lead.
      • discussion:
        • We could combine safety and security.
        • Director takes responsibility
        • Call for volunteers
        • James nominated Mike. B.
          • Mike B. accepts.
          • Motion to appoint Mke B. as safety lead. Kip seconds.
          • 7 in favor, 1 opposed, 1 abstained
  • Thanks and Recognition
    • Jace Francis - engineering expo help (from Kim)
    • Paul Maceberg - Gallery committee (from Dean/Malissa)
    • Josh & Kristie - Maker Monday
    • Malissa Long - Gallery committee (from Dean)
    • Curt Gridley & Tracy Hoover - For the support over the years (from Logan)


New Business

Woodshop access policy

Doug Wilson to revise exotic woods restrictions.

  • tracked changes from last month.
  • same as last month, with a few wordiness changes.
  • https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cd1QrBTG5BnweizhBpZj9NWXLIZXCUsRJa2384lhwlw/edit
  • what’s added that wasn’t cleared is the use of exotic woods. Wants to add a route to use exotic and reclaimed woods. This includes an authorization course that will also teach about toxicity of woods.
  • Allergies question.
    • not just allergies, there are other reactions too. Provided previously in the linked document.
  • Kez moves to accept the revised Woodshop access policy as stated. LaDeana seconds. Discussion.
    • Doug reiterates that woodworkers would still need to gain authorization to work with those woods.
    • James L. how much is left over in the system when one of those woods is used after cleaning.
      • it is expected that the person take out their own dust and clean their area. It is impossible to get rid of all of it.
      • Doug is not sure of all the ramifications.
      • OSHA only bans western red cedar (which is a native wood).
    • Vote: 8 in favor, 1 opposed.

Authorization policies

Logan to propose a revision to allow director/area leads to revise access policies

Lake Afton Observatory Partnership

James Lancaster to write up proposal.

IT committee appointments

James/Kim to write up proposal (similar to security committee appointments)


Badge Policy proposal

Christian Kindel to write up proposal.

Board term duration

  • The 1-year term duration was highlighted as an opportunity improvement. Malissa, LaDeana, Rustin and James L to write up proposal.
    • Malissa
      • most effective change is a simple change.
      • Suggested changes below:
        • Article V: The Board of Directors

Section 1: Role, Size, Term and Compensation Change one sentence: Each elected director shall serve from the time of their election at the annual meeting until the following annual meeting (1 year),and the Past-President will serve 1 term immediately following the end of their elected term(s). TO: Each elected director shall serve from the time of their election at the annual meeting, a 2 year term with half the board being elected annually, and the Past-President will serve 1 term immediately following the end of their elected term(s). Note: [Malissa] will suggest a standing rule be made to deal with future elections, if this passes at the Quarterly Meeting March 24th. It will be as follows: President ,Treasurer, At-Large 1 and 3 are elected on odd number years with Vice President, Secretary, At-Large 2 and 4, being elected on even numbered years. All officer shall serve a 2 year term. To establish At-Large positions we will use rank order voting, as provided by the by-laws, with the candidates either running for the 1 year term or 2 year term at the 2018 elections only. The top 2 vote getters in each term will serve out the term elected for.

    • Mike B.
      • Article III, Section 2 also needs to be updated at the same time to reflect this change.
    • Kip
      • in the past, we’ve used survey monkey to do electronic voting. Survey monkey only allows us to see the first 100 responses. We would have to pay for a month of service, approximately $35.

Education Workgroup

Kim to provide status on education working group

    • April 2 - Monday
      • invited all those who have taught to participate in a discussion.
      • some comments were that our teachers need to be level set in teaching skills.

Offsite equipment

  • What equipment do we own offsite and what's the plan for it?
    • Overall we need
      • Tracking
      • A policy for the person who’s tired of storing it
      • Does it have to be stored by a member?
      • Includes items loaned out (ie, to other makerspaces)
      • Kim will write it up
    • Well drilling equipment
      • do we need this? No.
      • can we craigslist this? Yes. Add to Christian’s get rid of list.
    • Kiln
      • we have two. A big one and a baby one.
      • David moves that we purchase Curt’s kiln for $1500, and sell other kilns to offset the cost. Logan seconds.
        • Curt asked to get back the tools that he had loaned us.
        • They have given us notice that they are going to take the kiln that is on loan to us. they offered to sell it to us for a fair market value. David suggests that we just buy the kiln from them and sell the kilns that we have additionally. We have sixty days to act on this.
        • David says that money is just a fraction of the money that curt and tracy have donated to us this year.
        • Rustin asked if this needs to be treated as equipment acquisition. No.This is a tool replacement, not a new acquisition.
        • 9 in favor, none opposed.
    • Engine hoist - will be added to Christian’s sell list
    • UV printer
      • Big, not working
      • Current fablab lead doesn’t want it
      • Currently lives in James’ truck.
  • We should be tracking this somehow. Or we could get rid of stuff since we didn’t even know about it. we bought the engine hoist. Was bought to move the tormach.
  • Logan accepted the well drilling equipment when he was president.
  • Curt asked to get back the tools that he had loaned us.
    • They have given us notice that they are going to take the kiln that is on loan to us. they offered to sell it to us for a fair market value. David suggests that we just buy the kiln from them and sell the kilns that we have additionally. We have sixty days to act on this.
    • David moves to purchase the kiln from curt for 1500 and sell other kilns to offset the cost. Logan seconds.
    • david says that money is just a fraction of the money that curt and tracy have donated to us this year.
    • Rustin asked if this needs to be treated as equipment acquisition.

Lease Agreements

  • Jens
    • Lease agreement has been extended. The buyout option was removed.
    • the lease is signed and Jens will be giving to the landlord this week.
    • Jens is still available to be the go between the landlord. Or he can onboard Christian as the go between.

Program Reports

  • Makerspace
  • DevICT
  • Maker Academy/Outreach - SWE Engineering Expo is March 10
  • Kansas Linux Fest will not be in May, leads are looking at schedule

Committee Reports

  • Membership and Events: LaDeana
    • Next general meeting is March
    • Membership report: We are over 390 members
    • Feb 2018 - 31
    • Jan 2018 - 54
    • Dec 2017 - 8
  • Database change is causing issues with our pull of lapsed members. Christian/LaDeana to work on a report.
  • IT:
    • Electronic waivers
      • almost done.
  • Building committee: Jens and Malissa
    • Firehouse. The space would be split evenly. The square footage is not enough to justify for the space that would be gained. If it is not double the space, it’s not worth it. We asked for the building for free, we would just have to remove the asbestos and wood. Jens explained that the firehouse process is just an exploratory process with the city. Malissa took this project on as a learning experience.
    • Jens will collect “minimum requirements to move” information from area leads to present to the board
  • Strategic Vision: Malissa
    • NomCon June 9-10 Santa Fe NM
    • Figure how who’s going, whoever goes would have to get a report
    • Logan proposes that Malissa should go. Kez props to Sam Sherter too.
    • who input to this project:
      • Malissa
      • Sam Schurter
      • Rustin
    • Malissa is going to decide who gets to go.
  • Special Projects: David
    • Electric Bus - just waiting on title
  • Insurance - David
**Our agent is supposed to be sending us a copy of the policy. 
  • Jeremiah asked about a gun policy.
    • task to review gun policy. There is nothing forbidding anyone from working on parts of guns.
    • policy proposal task to Jeremiah, David and James L.

Committees

  • Finance (David)
    • Investment account status
  • Membership and Events (LaDeana)
    • Next general meeting is March
    • Membership report: We are over 390 members
      • Feb 2018 - 31
      • Jan 2018 - 54
      • Dec 2017 - 8
      • Database change is causing issues with our pull of lapsed members. Christian/LaDeana to work on a report.
  • IT
    • Electronic waivers
    • Is anything left connected to the google group?
    • Need help with membership reports. How do we find date a member lapsed? Used to be in the "Renewal due" column.
  • Security (Matt P)
  • Scholarships (Kim)
  • Outreach (Barb)
  • Makerfaire (James S)
  • Fundraising/Donor recognition (Paul M)
  • Communications (James L)
  • Strategic Vision (Malissa)
    • NOMCON June 9-10 Santa Fe New Mexico
  • Special Projects (David)
    • Electric Bus

Decision Summary

    Task Summary