October 10 2016

From MakeICT
Jump to: navigation, search

Roll Call

  • Board Members
    • Barb Davis
    • Christian Kindel
    • Curt Gridley
    • Dominic Canare
    • James Lancaster
    • Kip Landwehr
    • Logan Pajunen
    • Tracy Hoover
  • Members
    • Jeremiah Burian
    • Mike Barushok
    • Mike Hutton
    • Tom McGuire
  • Guests
    • Brandon James

Officer Reports

  • Treasurer's Report
    • Budget
      • MakeICT Budgeting Philosophy - Draft
      • September Monthly Snapshot
      • October 2016 Financial Report
      • Fiscal Year 2016 Snapshot
      • Fiscal Year to Date Cash Flow Snapshot Notes
      • @TODO (Chairman of the Onboarding Committee, no date): Give the Board a recommendation for a “membership secretary” from the onboarding team
      • Looking to schedule a meeting with the BD’s to determine FY2017 area budgets (capital and operating costs) before the next board meeting
        • Need to determine, ask, and invite next year’s BD’s to that conversation
      • Have areas submit a low, middle, and high number for budget?
      • Committing to doing end of year fundraising
        • Write a thank-you to the mailing list and outline our successes, challenges, and the challenges we anticipate for the coming year.
      • Create a budget year from Jan 1 to Dec 31
    • Insurance
      • Brady came down from Newton and met with the insurance sub-committee
      • Found out we need to increase our coverage
        • Premiums will increase ~$1200, putting the total premium at ~$4100
          • Current property/liability covers $50K replacement and 100 members
          • Increased property/liability would cover $150K replacement and 250 members
        • $652 is being spent on the bus and will not change
        • Adding a $1M Umbrella bond would increase our premium by an estimated $750
        • For $50K of coverage on a Treasurer's Bond would increase our premium by an estimated $125
        • A $50K bond covering the President, Treasurer, and Secretary would increase the premium by an estimated $175
        • A $50K bond covering all 9 Board members would increase the premium by an estimated $250
      • @DECISION: The treasurer can update our insurance policy, in regards to the number of members and the equipment coverage, as (s)he sees fit.

Agenda Items

  • Meeting times and locations
    • Options:
      • Saturday AM
      • Sunday PM
    • @TODO (Logan, no date): Send out Doodle Poll.
  • Maker Faire
    • Options presented by Exploration Place
      • July 22 and 23 (preferred by Exploration Place)
      • July 29 and 30
    • No objections to telling EP to run with July 22 and 23
  • Grant Applications
    • Commerce Bank: Benefactor Bridge
      • Presentation on October 25 at 3:45
      • Logan and Tracy will present
    • Knight Cities Challenge
      • $5 Million up for grabs
    • Would like to have a committee to write up grants
      • There's already a fundraising team that we should reach out to
  • Alex Pimberton
    • Yellowbrick Street Team
      • The Better Block Foundation released WikiBlock
        • Open Sourced their plans for things such as benches
      • Wichita Transit was not able to add seating to bus stops
        • Can use the Better Block Foundation's bench plans to make benches, for the stops, on MakeICT's shopbot
          • Can make 2 benches per man-hour versus 1 bench per 2 man-hours without
      • Yellowbrick Street Team is looking for a partnership with MakeICT to make this happen
        • Looking at grants to cover costs of materials and wear-and-tear on MakeICT's equipment
      • Has anyone talked to the city about this
        • Do the benches meet all regulations for safety
        • Is there any liability to MakeICT, as the fiscal sponsor, if a bench were not up to code?
      • If we can solve the liability issue and cover the overhead/wear-and-tear cost to MakeICT, we would be interested in pursuing this relationship
  • Access Policies
    • Printmaking access policy
      • Members using the printmaking studio are required to read the studio guidelines(link these on the Wiki) and have an understanding of use of equipment, materials and clean-up processes.
      • During workshops, classes, etc. access will be limited due to space availability.
    • @DECISION: The printmaking access policy is approved.
    • Levels of Policy (in order by precedence)
      • Bylaws
      • Standing Rules
        • Rules that are applicable to every area of the makerspace
      • Access Policies
        • Defines what is required to access an area or piece of equipment
      • Guidelines
        • Suggested best practices for an area or machine
    • @TODO (Logan, no date): Need some type of drafted policy suggestion for global BD’s/access policies, etc from the “staff” meeting
    • Motion to make it a requirement for at least one authorization class to be on the calendar, at all times, if your area requires one for access. This goes into effect on January 1st.
  • BD Selection
    • Current BD’s
      • Art Gallery
        • Jess
      • Ceramics
        • Susan
      • Co-working space?
        • Jess
      • Classroom
        • Sam S
      • Electronics
        • James S
      • Fab lab
        • Christian
      • Kitchen/lounge/breakroom
        • Barb
      • Metalshop
        • Jeremiah L
      • Printmaking studio
        • Brad
      • Retail/consignment
        • Mike B
      • Studios
        • Jess
      • Woodshop
        • Mike H
    • What will our procedure be for selecting new BD’s?
      • Notify current BD’s that we’re going to put out a call for BD’s.
        • Meet with BD’s first.
  • Administration Group
    • Is there anything stopping us from adding people to the group.
    • Who adds people to our Google Groups?
  • Halloween
    • @TODO (unassigned, no date): Need someone to organize the Halloween Challenge
    • @TODO (unassigned, no date): Need someone to organize Maker Monday activities
    • @TODO (Christian, no date): Recruit for Halloween help on the forum
  • Retail/consignment
    • @TODO (Mike B, no date): Create and submit retail/consignment policy to the board.

General Topics and TODOs

  • @TODO (Board, no date): Need to discuss gallery usage policy

Decision Summary

    Task Summary