Difference between revisions of "April 18 2019"

From MakeICT
Jump to: navigation, search
(AGENDA)
Line 10: Line 10:
 
* At Large Director - Malissa Long
 
* At Large Director - Malissa Long
 
* At Large Director - James Lancaster  
 
* At Large Director - James Lancaster  
 +
 
=== Members ===
 
=== Members ===
 +
*Dean Day
 +
*Mark Satoria
 +
*Mark Springs
 +
*Alysa Bumgarner
 +
*Kevin Bumgarner
 +
*Jerry Carpenter
 +
*Angelita Mejia
 +
*Jeff Eck
 +
*Philip Fraser
 +
*Doug Wilson
 +
*Terrence Laurendine
 +
*Jens Torrel
 +
*Christian Kindel
 +
*Shannon Fisher
 +
*Logan Pajunen
 +
*Nalini Fraser
  
 
== Standing Items ==
 
== Standing Items ==
 
* Thanks & recognition
 
* Thanks & recognition
 +
** Kim Burton for help with the Explorer Post! (& Rustin for setting it up)
 +
** Thanks Barb & Kim for running a girl scout camp
 +
** Thanks Dean for lots of great work on the jewelry lab
 +
** Thanks RAT & Rustin for helping to get sheetrock up
 +
** Thanks to the SWE expo helpers - Rustin, James, LaDeana, Barb, Kim, and all the helpers!
 
* Safety and security
 
* Safety and security
 +
**Reminder - when you sign a key form make sure you’re comfortable with this person!.
 
* Treasurer's report
 
* Treasurer's report
 +
** We need to inventory our stuff with photos and serial numbers!
 +
** Kim to plan an Inventory Party
 +
**Monthly report can be reviewed at : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1t4UpYXW7YWUJRWSlvY1ii_0-8ASJ-PQs
 +
  
 
== New Business ==
 
== New Business ==
Line 21: Line 48:
  
 
=== Strategic planning ===
 
=== Strategic planning ===
 +
Top 5 things
 +
Strategic Initiatives
 +
1. Establish MakeICT as a regional leader in non-traditional education
 +
2. Increase member value, diversify and fully engage the membership
 +
3. Raise MakeICT’s reputation and prestige locally, regionally and nationally
 +
4. Fostering technical, creative, entrepreneurial,  job creation
 +
5. Build core organizational capacity
 +
6. Encourage making in Wichita
 +
 +
Further discussion will be in the forum
  
 
=== Proposed policy discussion ===
 
=== Proposed policy discussion ===
 
* Member meeting procedures
 
* Member meeting procedures
 
** Who else should have the right to call a member meeting?
 
** Who else should have the right to call a member meeting?
 +
*** Petition of ten members
 +
*** Or the board, whenever we want
 +
*** Seven calendar days in advance
 +
*** Leads can call meeting
 +
*** Kim/Ken to write up a policy http://makeict.org/wiki/Standing_rules#Membership_Meetings
  
 
=== Educational Program Updates ===
 
=== Educational Program Updates ===
Line 33: Line 75:
  
 
=== Upcoming Events ===
 
=== Upcoming Events ===
 
+
====Makerfaire ====
 
What's needed for makerfaire?
 
What's needed for makerfaire?
  
NOMCON funds (June 14th-16th‎)
+
Friday, April 26, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and
 +
Saturday, April 27, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
 +
 
 +
Barb - Windtunnel booth
 +
** Kim will help Saturday
 +
** Alysa will help Friday
 +
 
 +
Malissa - Bags (Saturday only)
 +
** Josh is helping Saturday
 +
** LaDeana, Angel,
 +
Rustin - Dragons
 +
 
 +
====Riverfest ====
 +
STEAM city  - 1st Sunday
 +
Kids Corner - Barb still needs a schedule
 +
Barb to get the final schedule and tell them we need ~10 buttons
 +
Last day for button discount is May 4
  
 +
====NOMCON funds (June 14th-16th‎)====
 +
Who wants to go? (Chattanooga Tennessee, ~12hr 37min drive, 15hr by train)
 +
* Kim, Malissa, LaDeana, James, Rhonda
 +
* Kim moves that we set aside $1000 maximum to reimburse for NOMCON tickets
 +
** Whoever’s going will decide how to split this if more than four people are going
 +
** Must bring a report back before being reimbursed
 +
* Barb seconds the motion
 +
* Discussion:
 +
** Questions about the value of NOMCON and their activities, cost/benefit
 +
** Good chance to network with other spaces (did form MidWest Maker Alliance last time)
 +
** Only way to get into the solar prize 
 +
** Takeaways from last year - Magic Wheelchair support
 +
***calling for a vote one in favor, four opposed, two abstaining
 
===Annual Meeting ===
 
===Annual Meeting ===
  
Line 47: Line 118:
 
Kim is working a partnership with Museum of World Treasures to trade for space.
 
Kim is working a partnership with Museum of World Treasures to trade for space.
  
Avoid Father's day June 16, NOMCON June 14th-16th‎, avoid Riverfest May 31-June 8, Kim will be out of town June 22 and on
+
Avoid Father's day June 16, NOMCON June 14th-16th‎, avoid Riverfest May 31-June 8, Kim will be out of town June 22 and on  
  
 
Election committee needed two weeks out, per [[Voting]] policy.
 
Election committee needed two weeks out, per [[Voting]] policy.
Line 53: Line 124:
 
== Old Business ==
 
== Old Business ==
  
Is the bus on auction yet?  
+
Is the bus on auction yet? - No, still looking at ebay option or a straight sale
  
 
=== Strategic Planning ===
 
=== Strategic Planning ===
Line 74: Line 145:
  
 
Shannon requested a few minutes to discuss volunteer recruitment
 
Shannon requested a few minutes to discuss volunteer recruitment
 +
*With help from LaDeana
 +
*Continue to have same members volunteer
 +
*Would like more/different members helping
 +
*Suggest a minimum volunteer hours per year
 +
*We do have a seperate volunteer calendar
 +
*Need help contacting members and getting them involved
 +
*Shannon would like access to more emails (Christian/David to help)
 +
*Need a better way to hold accountability over people attending orientation
 +
*Should have a workshop to brainstorm more ideas
 +
*(Cleanup day was awesome)
 +
*Suggest having teachers plug volunteer opportunities
 +
*May need to put up signage to get people to help around with small things like taking out the trash
  
 
===Creator Showroom - Dean Day===
 
===Creator Showroom - Dean Day===
 +
 
===Communications (and Wikibrarian) - LaDeana Dockery===
 
===Communications (and Wikibrarian) - LaDeana Dockery===
 
===Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman===
 
===Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman===
Line 86: Line 170:
  
 
=== Building committee ===
 
=== Building committee ===
 +
*David Springs’ brother Mark is involved in the process and he will be excusing himself from discussion and any voting on the elementary school near Mt Vernon.
 +
*Jens briefed slides (attach)
 +
*Mark Springs is now the owner of the facility. Cash price is $155K with contents or $170K and owner carries. Wants MakeICT to have it.
 +
** Going with a bank would not change those numbers 
 
* School tours and task list
 
* School tours and task list
 +
* Would have 30 calendar days from tonight (4/18/2019) to come to a decision on the building
 +
*Letter signed by 24 members was provided to board supporting the acquiring of Mark S. property on Mt Vernon.
 +
* Add standing Rule
 +
** A member meeting may be called by Jens Torell (the building committee lead) and 3 members of the board in April or May 2019. This shall cease to be a standing rule after June 1, 2019.
 +
**James Lancaster made motion to accept standing rule, Ken Steadman seconded the motion
 +
**Motion passes. 7 approved, 0 against, 0 abstained
 +
{{Decision|A member meeting may be called by Jens Torell (the building committee lead) and 3 members of the board in April or May 2019. This shall cease to be a standing rule after June 1, 2019.}}
 +
 +
Tasks:
 +
* Schedule a board meeting (May 5)
 +
* Need to advertise the discussed location (keep it internal, e-mail and printed around 1500 Douglas)
 +
* Schedule a member visit day (April 28th, 1pm to 7pm)
 +
* Schedule a member meeting to vote (possibly the next day
 +
* Jens is meeting with realtor and will work with property inspectors
 +
* Board Meeting on May 5th.
  
 
== Decision Summary ==
 
== Decision Summary ==

Revision as of 02:16, 19 April 2019

AGENDA

Roll Call

Board Members

  • President - Kim Burton
  • Vice President - LaDeana Dockery
  • Treasurer - David Springs
  • Secretary - Ken Steadman
  • At Large Director - Barb Davis
  • At Large Director - Rustin Atkeisson
  • At Large Director - Malissa Long
  • At Large Director - James Lancaster

Members

  • Dean Day
  • Mark Satoria
  • Mark Springs
  • Alysa Bumgarner
  • Kevin Bumgarner
  • Jerry Carpenter
  • Angelita Mejia
  • Jeff Eck
  • Philip Fraser
  • Doug Wilson
  • Terrence Laurendine
  • Jens Torrel
  • Christian Kindel
  • Shannon Fisher
  • Logan Pajunen
  • Nalini Fraser

Standing Items

  • Thanks & recognition
    • Kim Burton for help with the Explorer Post! (& Rustin for setting it up)
    • Thanks Barb & Kim for running a girl scout camp
    • Thanks Dean for lots of great work on the jewelry lab
    • Thanks RAT & Rustin for helping to get sheetrock up
    • Thanks to the SWE expo helpers - Rustin, James, LaDeana, Barb, Kim, and all the helpers!
  • Safety and security
    • Reminder - when you sign a key form make sure you’re comfortable with this person!.
  • Treasurer's report


New Business

Strategic planning

Top 5 things Strategic Initiatives 1. Establish MakeICT as a regional leader in non-traditional education 2. Increase member value, diversify and fully engage the membership 3. Raise MakeICT’s reputation and prestige locally, regionally and nationally 4. Fostering technical, creative, entrepreneurial, job creation 5. Build core organizational capacity 6. Encourage making in Wichita

Further discussion will be in the forum

Proposed policy discussion

Educational Program Updates

May 23 - How to teach a class

Statistics posted to https://talk.makeict.org/t/education-stats/3084

Upcoming Events

Makerfaire

What's needed for makerfaire?

Friday, April 26, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, April 27, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Barb - Windtunnel booth

    • Kim will help Saturday
    • Alysa will help Friday

Malissa - Bags (Saturday only)

    • Josh is helping Saturday
    • LaDeana, Angel,

Rustin - Dragons

Riverfest

STEAM city - 1st Sunday Kids Corner - Barb still needs a schedule Barb to get the final schedule and tell them we need ~10 buttons Last day for button discount is May 4

NOMCON funds (June 14th-16th‎)

Who wants to go? (Chattanooga Tennessee, ~12hr 37min drive, 15hr by train)

  • Kim, Malissa, LaDeana, James, Rhonda
  • Kim moves that we set aside $1000 maximum to reimburse for NOMCON tickets
    • Whoever’s going will decide how to split this if more than four people are going
    • Must bring a report back before being reimbursed
  • Barb seconds the motion
  • Discussion:
    • Questions about the value of NOMCON and their activities, cost/benefit
    • Good chance to network with other spaces (did form MidWest Maker Alliance last time)
    • Only way to get into the solar prize
    • Takeaways from last year - Magic Wheelchair support
      • calling for a vote one in favor, four opposed, two abstaining

Annual Meeting

Last year's proposal was:

  • May 18 call for nominations & questions (actually happened May 11, people were antsy) [1]
  • June 9 deadline for questions
  • June 16 Annual Meeting

Kim is working a partnership with Museum of World Treasures to trade for space.

Avoid Father's day June 16, NOMCON June 14th-16th‎, avoid Riverfest May 31-June 8, Kim will be out of town June 22 and on

Election committee needed two weeks out, per Voting policy.

Old Business

Is the bus on auction yet? - No, still looking at ebay option or a straight sale

Strategic Planning

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1uLySAcB2aZiHrW3O-PAsyNQb7d5h77Nj

Other

Committee Reports

Requested items from each committee:

  • Accomplishments this month
  • Upcoming goals
  • Where do you need help/how to get involved?

IT - Tom Bloom

Decision last month was to pay for wild apricot for a year

Membership (and Community outreach) - Shannon Fisher

Shannon requested a few minutes to discuss volunteer recruitment

  • With help from LaDeana
  • Continue to have same members volunteer
  • Would like more/different members helping
  • Suggest a minimum volunteer hours per year
  • We do have a seperate volunteer calendar
  • Need help contacting members and getting them involved
  • Shannon would like access to more emails (Christian/David to help)
  • Need a better way to hold accountability over people attending orientation
  • Should have a workshop to brainstorm more ideas
  • (Cleanup day was awesome)
  • Suggest having teachers plug volunteer opportunities
  • May need to put up signage to get people to help around with small things like taking out the trash

Creator Showroom - Dean Day

Communications (and Wikibrarian) - LaDeana Dockery

Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman

Scholarships- Nick Endicott

Outreach (and Education) - Daryl Goad

Fundraising- Meghan Iacuzzi

Special Projects (and Makerfaire) - Nicole Kirkhart

Building committee

  • David Springs’ brother Mark is involved in the process and he will be excusing himself from discussion and any voting on the elementary school near Mt Vernon.
  • Jens briefed slides (attach)
  • Mark Springs is now the owner of the facility. Cash price is $155K with contents or $170K and owner carries. Wants MakeICT to have it.
    • Going with a bank would not change those numbers
  • School tours and task list
  • Would have 30 calendar days from tonight (4/18/2019) to come to a decision on the building
  • Letter signed by 24 members was provided to board supporting the acquiring of Mark S. property on Mt Vernon.
  • Add standing Rule
    • A member meeting may be called by Jens Torell (the building committee lead) and 3 members of the board in April or May 2019. This shall cease to be a standing rule after June 1, 2019.
    • James Lancaster made motion to accept standing rule, Ken Steadman seconded the motion
    • Motion passes. 7 approved, 0 against, 0 abstained

@DECISION: A member meeting may be called by Jens Torell (the building committee lead) and 3 members of the board in April or May 2019. This shall cease to be a standing rule after June 1, 2019.

Tasks:

  • Schedule a board meeting (May 5)
  • Need to advertise the discussed location (keep it internal, e-mail and printed around 1500 Douglas)
  • Schedule a member visit day (April 28th, 1pm to 7pm)
  • Schedule a member meeting to vote (possibly the next day
  • Jens is meeting with realtor and will work with property inspectors
  • Board Meeting on May 5th.

Decision Summary

    Task Summary