- Be excellent to each other
- Illegal activity is forbidden
- Share the workspace, tools, supplies, and knowledge
- Pickup after yourself by cleaning the workspace and putting away tools
- Get training on tools before using them
- Make safely (do not be on fire!)
To become a member, attend an open house or sign up online
Minors are allowed to become members, but require sponsorship by an adult. A parent or legal guardian must co-sign the minor's membership application and release of liability. Minors under the age of 16 need to be accompanied by an adult whenever at the space. Keys are available to members over the age of 16, following the key policy.
Cost of membership is $25/month, although scholarships are available upon request.
All members will go through a 30 day probationary period before they gain voting rights. During that period, new members are encouraged to integrate themselves into the community through attending Maker Mondays, volunteering on projects at MakeICT, attending and/or assisting with workshops, and/or joining in the chatter on the forums.
Membership will lapse after 30 days of nonpayment. Membership and voting rights will be suspended after 3 months of non-payment. To re-instate membership, pay dues for the upcoming month.
- Members can vote at board meetings and annual meeting - see the calendar for schedule
- Members are eligible to nominate, be nominated for, and hold board positions
- Members may have personal storage space on request
- MakeICT shall have regular meetings of the membership every September, December, and March, in addition to the Annual Meeting.
- Meetings shall be scheduled and announced by the Board of Directors, not less than two weeks before the meeting.
- Announcements of the meeting shall be posted in all customary physical and electronic locations.
- The meetings shall include short reports on what MakeICT has been doing through its various programs and address any issues that need to be addressed.
Building Access Policy
- No person may occupy the MakeICT Makerspace outside of officially posted event times except for the following:
- Members in good standing who are in possession of a key to the makerspace that has been granted in accordance with the Key Policy.
- Guests of members with keys, as described in the Guest policy.
- All members and guests must obey all Standing rules and policies.
- All members and guests must have a signed waiver on file before using any equipment in the makerspace, and must have the appropriate authorizations for any equipment that requires authorization, as specified in each area access policy.
Approved by the board 19 May 2018
- All members and guests must visibly wear an ID issued by MakeICT while in the makerspace.
- Members with keys must wear their photo ID badge.
- Temporary IDs will be issued to guests, event participants, and members who do not have one.
- Photo ID Badges will be issued to members once they have completed the requirements for obtaining a key to the building.
- Photo ID Badges may be issued to members without keys, but must be visually distinct from the keyed member badges
- Photo ID Badges may be issued to frequent guests, but must be visually distinct from member badges, and have the name(s) of the sponsoring member(s) printed on them.
Approved by the board 19 May 2018
- Members with keys may bring guests into the MakeICT Makerspace.
- Guests must sign-in and wear a guest ID.
- Any person who is not a member with a key must be the guest of a member with a key to occupy the MakeICT Makerspace outside of officially posted event times.
- This includes members who have not yet received their key, have lost their key, or, for any reason, do not have a key upon arrival at the makerspace.
- Members are responsible for their guests and their actions.
- Guests must be directly supervised at all times while in the MakeICT Makerspace.
- This includes children. The lounge is not a daycare.
- Guests are strongly encouraged to become members and obtain a key.
- Three guests or fewer do not require any type of reservation. Members with keys may host a private meeting or event at the MakeICT Makerspace, as long as they are not charging a fee. If any rooms or resources are to be held, or if there are more than 3 non-member guests, a reservation must be submitted and approved 14 days in advance. The host member is responsible/liable for activities of their guests, and all guests must follow official guest policies. There is no fee for this resource to our members, but a donation is suggested to offset facility costs.
- To submit a reservation, fill out the form at http://makeict.org/reservations
- Reservations will be listed on the public calendar
Approved by the board 30 May 2017
A key that grants 24/7 access to the MakeICT Makerspace can be obtained, at the discretion of the Security Group, by members who meet the following criteria:
Obtaining a key
- Participate in a New Member Orientation and be an active member in good standing with MakeICT and all of its programs.
- Become part of the community by completing a Key Application Form that includes the following:
- A few multiple-choice and short answer questions to learn more about you.
- 6 signature fields to meet some members of our community:
- 2 Board Members, 2 Area Leads, and 2 Active Keyed Members.
- Signers will get acquainted with you by asking you questions about yourself.
- Each signature must be unique and indicates they personally sponsor your Key Application Form.
- Signers reserve the right to ask you to stay around longer before signing your Key Application Form.
- Signers who qualify for multiple signatures on the Key Application Form may only sign once.
- Some rules that you must adhere to including but not limited to:
- Contact the Security Team and submit your Key Application Form to request a key.
- Security Officers will ask you questions to become acquainted with you, similar to when you received your signatures.
Having a key
- Each member who retains a key and access to the space must have a completed Key Application Form on file.
Losing a key
- A lost key must be reported immediately so that it can be deactivated. If the key is found later, it can be reactivated.
- Replacement keys are $5.00.
Revoking key access
- The following events may result in forfeiture of your key:
- Loaning your key to any other person.
- Duplicating your key without authorization.
- Disobeying any policy set by MakeICT or any of its programs.
- Any active Security Officer may deactivate a key of a member and must immediately notify the Lead Security Officer.
- In the event a key is revoked, Lead Security Officer shall notify the appropriate member, the Makerspace Area Leads, and the Board of Directors of the reason by phone or E-mail within 48 hours.
Regaining key access
- If a member's key is revoked, they can request another one by filling out another Key Application Form and submitting it to the Board of Directors.
- The Key Application Form process can be bypassed with a Key Assignment Form filled out by the Lead Security Officer.
- All changes to the Key Application or Key Assignment forms must be submitted to the board for approval.