MakeICT’s makerspace is a 22,000 square foot facility located at 5920 E Mt Vernon St. It serves as the hub of our mission: We innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture.
Active members who have completed the key process can access the makerspace 24/7/365. Visitors who are not members or do not yet have a key are welcome to join us for a public event, during our Maker Monday open houses, or as a guest of an active keyed-member.
The makerspace is divided into these sections:
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the makerspace open?
- Members can apply for a key which grants 24/7 access
- Nonmembers and the general public can access the facility:
How much does it cost to be a member?
Is there a family rate or any other discount?
- $25 per individual is our discounted rate.
- Some families choose one person to be the responsible member since the other family members can be with them as a guest when they need to space for no extra charge.
- Other families choose to get a membership for each spouse, which adds up to $50 a month. It’s a much better deal than other makerspaces we surveyed – many cities have makerspaces, most of them cost $50-$150 just for individuals, so you could literally have a whole family join MakeICT for less than the normal going rate for shared spaces in other cities.
How much do classes cost?
- That varies by class, depending on the materials and instructor
- Members receive a $5 discount
What about materials?
- Members cover the costs for their own materials
- In some areas materials are provided for convenience and everyone chips in for what they use. It’s easier for us to buy ceramics clay, 3D printer filament, and small electronics components as a group, so we have those items available and you buy them from us.
- In other areas you will bring in your own materials. We’re not going to try and guess if you want to make a bookcase out of oak or pine, it’s all you.
- There are areas to leave and share scraps.
Can I bring a friend or relative if they are not a member?
- Yes! We have a liberal guest policy that even allows members to host entire meetings at the makerspace at no extra cost.
- If your friend wants to use tools that require safety authorization (like in the woodshop, metalshop or other area), both of you need to have passed the required safety classes.
What about kids/youth?
- Anyone is allowed to become a member, but people under 18 years of age require sponsorship by an adult.
- Anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult whenever at the space.
- Anyone under the age of 12 is prohibited from using sharp or powerful tools, unless granted special permission from the applicable area lead.
Do I have to take any classes or can I jump right in?
- To ensure the safety of our members, guests, and investments, some areas within the makerspace require authorization. This varies by area, but generally requires that you can demonstrate to an approved volunteer that you know how to use the equipment safely.
- For details on authorization policies for a specific area, check the wiki.
- Check the calendar for group authorization sessions or post the forum to connect with an approved volunteer who can authorize you.
How do I join?
What if I have more questions?
- No problem! Check out our contact page to find the best way to contact us: